- Artwork from five Mission Bay High School students has been selected to be part of a special exhibition at Cabrillo National Monument from Feb. 3 to March 11. Carime Albarron, Eva Tecla, Janitcia Perez, Crystal Ollison, and Ashley Slomba are all students of MBHS art teacher Diane Parrish.
- Congratulations, MBHS music director, JP Balmet, for receiving the 2017 Fortissimo Jazz Educator Award, Honoring Excellence in Jazz Education and Performance. Balmet leads the MBHS music department and award-winning Preservationists. Students learn how to perform arrange, compose, and direct, giving them an amazing start to their creative futures. The Fortissimo Awards honor Imperial Valley and San Diego County Music Educators, Industry Leaders and School Administrators for exceptional work in music education.
Pacific Beach Middle
- Congratulations, PBMS principal Kimberly Meng, for receiving the 2017 Fortissimo Outstanding Middle School Administrator Award, Honoring a Non-Music Educator who, as a School Administrator, has Contributed Powerfully to the Support of Music Education. Meng will be recognized at the annual Fortissimo Awards Gala on Jan. 14, at Bernardo Winery. The Fortissimo Event allows time for teachers to socialize and honor those who are being recognized.
- Take a break from cooking and eat lunch or dinner at Luigi’s on the Beach on Jan. 24 – a portion of the proceeds on that day will benefit Pacific Beach Elementary.
- Save the date for PBE's biggest fundraiser of the year. The annual auction and party is set for April 20, at 5:30 p.m. at the Soledad Club. The theme this year is Havana Nights!
- The Friends of Kate Sessions (PTO) are busy planning one of the biggest fundraisers of the year, the Jog-A-Thon. More than 500 students and several of the staff members run laps around the lower field to raise money for art, music, library and other school programs that have been cut by the district. In addition to collecting pledges from families and friends, Sessions also looks for community businesses to sponsor the event. Sponsorships offered include: company name printed on the T-shirts, a company banner hung on the school fence and/or a tent at the event. For information regarding sponsorships, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More than 50 Sessions families came out to walk in the fun and festive PB Holiday Parade. Thank you to Ann Condon of Discover PB and all the businesses who made the event possible.
- Crown Point Junior Music Academy's Suzuki violin instructor, Stephen Luchs, was awarded the honor of Elementary Music Specialist Award in the 2017 Fortissimo Awards through the California Music Educators Association. CPJMA is proud to see Luchs recognized for his commitment to teaching music to young students.
- On Jan. 19, from 5 to 7 p.m., CPJMA will be hosting a Family Game Night in the auditorium. Admission is free, but they are collecting socks as donations for those in need.
- Barnard Elementary students were ready to salsa the night away at the school’s Latin Dance Night held on Dec. 8. Students, parents, teachers, and staff enjoyed tamales, pan dulce, and live music from San Diego’s own Buena Vista SoCal Club. The event was sponsored by the school’s English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC), whose primary purpose is to advise the school and the district regarding instructional programs and support services for English Learners. Although Barnard students spend at least 50 percent of their school day learning in Mandarin, its student population represents a mix of backgrounds and ethnicities. The Latin Dance Night is one of many free events at the school that highlight and celebrate the diversity found within Barnard’s community.
“Events like this remind me how great it is to attend a school as diverse as Barnard,” said first grade parent Roberto Alvarez, who taught salsa dancing to attendees at the event. “I’m happy to see the Barnard community come together to celebrate and support the real reason that we participate in these events, our children.”
Mission Bay Cluster
- The fifth annual Schoolyard Dash 5K and Fun Run on Jan. 28, 8:30 a.m. Enjoy a great morning at De Anza Cove with friends, schoolmates, and community members, while supporting Pacific Beach secondary schools – PBMS and MBHS. Run or walk along scenic Mission Bay and enjoy local music, delicious food, and vendor booths afterward. Form a team or sign up individually at www.schoolyarddash.org.
- Mark your calendars for the Taste of North PB on Wednesday, March 14 for Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools. Support Pacific Beach schools while enjoying food from local restaurants, music from local and school bands, and artwork from students from PB schools.