Release of ‘Bolder Than Most’ rapist ‘not a done deal’
by NEAL PUTNAM
Published - 01/13/19 - 08:29 AM | 1076 views | 0 0 comments | 24 24 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Alvin Ray Quarles
Alvin Ray Quarles
slideshow
The attorney for the “Bolder Than Most” rapist who is seeking release is challenging the idea that the judge can re-consider his earlier decision to release him, attorneys said on Jan. 11.

A motion to re-consider the release of Alvin Ray Quarles has been filed by the District Attorney’s office under seal after its contents apparently spurred the DA’s office to file the motion to San Diego Superior Court Judge David Gill.

Quarles, now 56, was not in court Jan. 11, and remains in Coalinga State Hospital and filed a petition for release in 2016. He has finished part of the psychiatric facility’s program, and Gill asked and received a report from the hospital about a new evaluation of him.

“We have definitely reviewed the report from the hospital, but we can’t talk about it,” said Deputy District Attorney Jessica Coto afterwards.

Quarles sexually assaulted 12 women in Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Old Town and elsewhere from 1985-1988, and was sentenced to 50 years in prison in 1989. He served 25 years and the law at the time allowed for inmates’ release after they served half their sentence.

After his sentence ended, Quarles was classified as sexually violent predator (SVP) and he was confined at the Coalinga hospital. He has been in custody for 31 years so far.

Gill ruled on Oct. 12 that Quarles could be released to a home in Jacumba Hot Springs, but his housing fell through after it was determined officials had not been dealing with the actual house’s owner, as he was not authorized to rent it out.

Attorney Amy Hoffman, who represents Quarles, told Gill on Jan. 11 she plans to file more motions before the next hearing on March 8. She wants Gill to keep his original ruling and eventually re-locate Quarles to another site.

Hoffman requested that documents attorneys file be sealed, and Gill said “the sealing order will remain in place.”

Afterwards, Coto said “the issue is whether he (Gill) can change his mind” and reverse his earlier rulings to release Quarles.

The husband of one rape victim in the “Bolder Than Most” rape series attended the hearing Friday, and it has attracted a number of people opposed to his release.

“He is the worst of the worst. This is not a done deal,” said County Supervisor Dianne Jacob at the last hearing on Jan. 4.

Quarles pleaded guilty to committing four rapes, two robberies, and six burglaries all within the same series. Police labeled him “bolder than most” because he brazenly attacked women at knifepoint in the presence of their boyfriends, roommates, or husbands.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.
Trending