• Balkanfest 2013: May 24-27 at Café-Bar Europa, 873 Turquoise St. 21 and up. www.theturquoise.com/wordpress
Brick by Brick continues its series of tribute-band triple bills, with a show topped by Cars doppelgangers The Dangerous Types on May 24. While the Cars hit-making era only lasted roughly six years from 1978 to 1984, they still managed to produce numerous now-classic tunes, including “My Best Friend’s Girl,” “Just What I Needed” and “Shake it Up,” making them perfect candidates for the tribute-band scene. Also on hand this evening will be Sex Pistols tribute band the Rotten Johnnies and KISS cover group Exposed, making for an unlikely, but very entertaining night of music
• The Dangerous Types perform at 8 p.m. on Friday, May 24 at Brick by Brick, 1130 Buenos Ave. 21 and up. $7. www.brickbybrick.com
On May 24, San Diego’s jazz community will come together at Dizzy’s to celebrate the 81st birthday of San Diego music icon Joe Marillo. The celebrated saxophonist will perform alongside a band consisting of Jim Plank on drums, Tom Azarello on bass, Ed Kornhauser on piano, Derek Cannon on trumpet and special guest Ben Schachter on tenor saxophone. A mainstay of the local jazz scene since 1974, Marillo has mentored and inspired countless musicians. He has released three albums in recent years, but his live performances are the best way to experience his music. This birthday celebration concert is a wonderful reason to get out and do so.
• Joe Marillo performs at 8 p.m. on Friday, May 24 at Dizzy’s, 4275 Mission Bay Drive. $15. www.dizzysjazz.com
The Kona Kai’s new music-booking policy is off to a rousing start from May 24-26, with a series of pool parties featuring some of the area’s favorite artists. On May 24 at 7 p.m. will be a performance by classic rock favorites Rockola, featuring Mark DeCerbo. Anyone who enjoys evergreens like The Beatles’ “Twist & Shout” will love this quartet’s spot-on takes of choice oldies. Meanwhile, on May 25 at noon, the spotlight will be on blues singer Whitney Shay. Then, on May 26 at noon, more classic tunes are on tap from Fish and the Seaweeds. Anyone who enjoys hearing music outdoors will love these shows. Look for attendance at the pool parties to build as the summer heats up.
• Pool Party Weekend: Friday May 24, 7 p.m.; May 25 -26, noon, at the Kona Kai Resort, 1551 Shelter Island Drive. www.resortkonakai.com
Promoter Jefferson Jay is perhaps best known these days for his Wednesday open mic-nights at Winston’s Beach Club, as well as concert series like a songwriters’ showcase at La Jolla’s Athenaeum. But at the core of it all, Jay is a musician. On May 25, he will front his own band in a performance at The Griffin. Onstage, you never know what you’ll get with Jay, but from rock to trumpet spiced to Latin-influenced acoustic numbers, he always delivers cleverly and extremely well-arranged tunes.
• The Jefferson Jay Band performs at 9 p.m. on Saturday, May 25 at The Griffin, 1310 Morena Blvd. 21 and up. $8. www.thegriffin-sd.com