• Thursday, Sept. 26, 6 to 7 p.m.: College Night, in the library.
• The Mission Bay High School Alumni Association will be hosting the seventh annual All-Alumni Homecoming Celebration on Friday, Oct. 18 at 3 p.m. This year’s event will include VIP tents in the end zone of the field; $2 tacos donated by the PB Shore Club; Buccaneers merchandise; and prime end-zone seating for the game. MBHSAA will be hosting a silent auction, the major fundraiser of the year. Those interested in sending a donation are asked to contact email@example.com for forms and information.
Congratulations to Hannah Tandy, who is one of 23 high school seniors selected from San Diego Unified School District to be selected as a National Merit Semifinalist. Well done!
Pacific Beach Middle School
• Thursday, Oct. 3, 8 a.m.: PBMS tour. Join PBMS staff and parents for an informational meeting and campus tour. Come see why PB Middle has been named a Spotlight School by the California Association of IB World Schools.
• BeachFest, Saturday, Oct. 5. Are you a beach-area family exploring options for your soon-to-be middle-school child? PB Middle offers an award-winning program with highly trained teachers, technology for all, and a one-of-a-kind, globally focused curriculum. Visit the PB Middle booth at BeachFest on Oct. 5 to learn more about the prestigious International Baccalaureate program.
• Do you know any middle schoolers who like to surf? The PB Locals surf club and team welcome all sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders who live or attend school in Pacific Beach to join. Contact Kathy Miller Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The deadline for team riders is Sept. 30.
Barnard Asian Pacific Language Academy
Barnard Language Academy will be celebrating its grand opening on Sept. 27. The community is welcome. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will take place at 8 a.m. in front of the school with local and international dignitaries, followed by a performance by a dance troupe from Chongching, China.
Kate Sessions Elementary School
Kate Sessions PTO held its annual Day at the Bay at Mission Bay Sportcenter on Sept. 15. More than 100 families celebrated the new school year on paddleboards, paddleboats and kayaks, listened to live music and enjoyed taco plates and desserts. The Kate Sessions PTO appreciates the generosity of parents, volunteers and the community businesses that support the event and the school. Special thanks to Solar Rain, Bus Stop Gelato, SnoCal Shaved Ice, Tacos & Gorditas, the Mission Bay Farmers Market, Sector 9, Jetpack MoJo, and Mission Bay Sportcenter, its manager Zach Funston and his staff of water-craft counselors.
The Sportcenter donated its facility, equipment and time to the school.
Pacific Beach Elementary School
• Oct. 2: Friends of Pacific Beach Elementary School (FOPBE) meeting, 6 p.m. PBE’s parent-teacher organization will be meeting in Room 9. Childcare is provided for school-age children.
• Oct. 5: Pacific Beachfest: PBE will once again have its “crazy hair” booth. Stop by and learn about the great programs at PBE, and get some crazy hair in the process.
• Oct. 6: 2:30 p.m., SSC/GSC meeting in the library.
• The PBE annual Contributions Drive runs from Sept. 20 through Oct. 25. Any and all contributions are welcome. Visit www.fopbe.org for more information.
Mission Bay Cluster
• The next Mission Bay Cluster meeting will be Thursday, Oct. 3, 6 p.m., in the PB Middle School library. There will be a presentation on the Common Core Curriculum with a Q&A given by James Michaelian, vice principal of Mission Bay High School. There will also be updates and continued planning for the MB Cluster All-Schools Fair. We will discuss the YMCA progress, as well as the new stadium project at MBHS. Please join us to learn more about the Mission Bay Cluster and help us to continue strengthening our schools.
• Save the date for the Pacific Beach Neighborhood Schools Fair, Saturday, Nov. 2 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on the Mission Bay High School campus. Pacific Beach schools have made great changes in recent years, now offering a wide variety of program choices, including International Baccalaureate Programme, a Mandarin-immersion magnet and a Junior Music Academy magnet. Join local families and discover the terrific opportunities offered in our elementary, middle and high schools. Listen to students play music, enjoy food and play games. School principals and staff will be presenting information and fielding questions.
Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools (FOPBSS)
The fourth annual Ducky Derby is Saturday, Oct. 5 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Pacific BeachFest. Everyone has an opportunity to purchase a ducky (or several!) for the big race. At 5 p.m., all duckies purchased and numbered will be placed into the ocean and the first ones to “swim” to shore will win prizes. You do not need to be present at the race to win and 100 percent of the profits go to Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools to help enhance the experience for students at PB Middle and Mission Bay High. Ducks are on sale for $5 at PBMS and MBHS school offices and at the FOPBSS BeachFest booth.
Mission Bay High School Alumni Association
The MBHS Alumni Association presents the Seaside Farmers Market every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the MBHS Grand Avenue student parking lot. Enjoy unique artisans, delicious food, fresh produce and much more. 100 percent of the profits benefit MBHS.