La Jolla Music Society opens SummerFest 2013 with “Let’s Dance!” at MCASD’s Sherwood Auditorium, 700 Prospect St., on Friday, Aug. 2 at 7:30 p.m. The evening of chamber music includes works by Schubert, Falla, Stravinsky, Ravel and Lalo Schifrin, all performed by renowned musicians. The event will include “Preludes” — a pre-concert chat and performance. The first prelude will feature SummerFest’s Fellowship Artist ensemble, the Linden String Quartet, performing Mendelssohn’s String Quartet in A Minor, Op. 13 at 6:30 p.m.
Tickets are $45-$75 and can be purchased by calling (858) 459-3728 or online at www.LJMS.org.
La Jolla Kiwanis Club will host its 50th annual pancake breakfast Saturday, July 27 from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. at La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St.
Guests will be treated to all-you-can-eat blueberry pancakes, sausage, milk, coffee and juice for just $10. Children 10 and under are admitted free.
A total of 120 gallons of orange juice, 400 pounds of pancake batter, 250 pounds of sausage, 24 gallons of syrup and 60 pounds of blueberries are dispensed by Kiwanians to more than 1,500 guests.
The family-oriented affair features live music, raffle drawings and lots of activities for children, including pony rides, jumpies and face painting.
The event started out as a fundraiser to generate funds for landscaping at the then-new YMCA in the 1960s. The first Kiwanis pancake breakfast was held on Girard Avenue in a bank parking lot across from the old Cove Theater, where Ligne Roset furniture is now.
Designed to build rapport with the community, the breakfast is a way for La Jolla Kiwanis to meet new people, let them know what the club is all about and to thank the community for its support.
La Jolla Kiwanis Club annually raises and donates more than $175,000, largely for youth-oriented causes through the Kiwanis Club of La Jolla Foundation.
La Jolla Kiwanis meets every Friday from noon to 1:30 p.m. at La Jolla Presbyterian Church, 7715 Draper Ave.
White Sands La Jolla will feature the works of two well-known La Jolla artists on July 26 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the facility’s Ocean View Lounge, 7450 Olivetas Ave.
Dr. George M. Wahab has exhibited in major cities throughout the country, earning many awards. Also featured will be noted surf photographer Aaron Goulding, whose work has been published in leading surf magazines.
Each artist has selected 20 pieces for display, which will also be available for purchase. The event includes live piano entertainment, wine and appetizers. RSVP at (858) 216 4287.
The Doris Howell Foundation’s Luncheon and Lecture Series will take place on July 30 from noon to 1:30 p.m. in La Jolla. The topic of the lecture, “Recent Advances in Management of Lung Cancer,” will be presented by Dr. Ajay Sandhu, medical director of UCSD’s Department of Radiation Oncology. Sandhu will discuss new technology that offers effective and safe treatment for patients with early stage lung cancer.
Tickets to the luncheon and lecture are $50, and reservations can be made at www.howellfound-ation.org or by calling (858) 412-5250. Upon making reservations, guests will receive confirmation of the location and directions.
On the Go, a community program operated by the Jewish Family Service that provides transportation solutions to older adults, will host a series of workshops for those interested in becoming an On the Go volunteer.
“On the Go 101: How to Become a Volunteer” will provide information about volunteer opportunities like driving adults to medical appointments, grocery shopping, lunch dates and more. Upcoming On the Go 101 Workshops:
• July 25, 1 to 2 p.m., North UC Library, 4155 Governor Drive
• July 31, 6 to 7 p.m., Del Mar Library, 1309 Camino Del Mar
Other events around town:
SATURDAY, July 20
• La Jolla Summer Classic, San Miguel Water Polo Foundation, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Bishops School pool, 7607 La Jolla Blvd., (858) 531-6706
SUNDAY, July 21
• La Jolla Concerts by the Sea, La Jolla Cove, Ellen Browning Scripps Park, 2 to 4 p.m., free concert with The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash
MONDAY, July 22
• La Jolla Moms, 9 a.m., a group for moms in the La Jolla area to get together for playdates, beach days, hikes, mom’s night out, couple’s night out, lunches, trips, and outings for the whole family, Dillon@lajollamom.com.
TUESDAY, July 23
• Bibi Kasrai’s “The Spice Whisperer,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., the founder and CEO of Harvard Cookin’ Girl will sign her food memoir, warwicks.com
WEDNESDAY, July 24
• Meg Waite Clayton’s “The Wednesday Daughters,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book signing, warwicks.com
THURSDAY, July 25
• Day trip to The Museum of Latin American Art, La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., includes coffee reception, luxury transportation, museum admission, afternoon refreshments, $40 members, $60 non-members, firstname.lastname@example.org, (858) 459-0831
• Summer Walk, 5:30 to 8 p.m., along La Jolla Boulevard, first-ever event hosted by Bird Rock Arts featuring local galleries and businesses and live music, free
FRIDAY, July 26
• Fourth Fridays Jazz series, 7 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., Lori Bell & Friends, includes show admission, hors d’oeuvres, one glass of wine and free valet, (858) 459-0831, www.lajollacommunitycenter.com, $15 pre-purchase, $20 members, $20-25 at the door
SATURDAY, July 27
• Haute La Jolla Nights, 6 to 7 p.m., throughout the Village, live music, art, shopping and dining deals, www.lajollabythesea.com/hautelajollanights, (858) 454-5718, free
SUNDAY, July 28
• La Jolla Concerts by the Sea, 2 p.m., Ellen Brown Scripps Park, Bill McGee Blues Band, free
MONDAY, July 29
• Hospital orientation for expectant parents, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, 9888 Genesee Ave., main lobby, (858) 626-4123, free
TUESDAY, July 30
• Ernest Thompson’s “On Golden Pond,” 7:30 p.m., La Jolla Community Center’s courtyard, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., staged reading by the La Jolla Theatre Ensemble, no reservations necessary, email@example.com, $5-10 suggested donation
WEDNESDAY, July 31
• Summerfest Under the Stars, 7:30 p.m., La Jolla Cove’s Scripps Park, includes San Diego Youth Symphony’s International Youth Symphony, (858) 459-3728, ljms.org, free
THURSDAY, Aug. 1
• Flicks on the Bricks: “The Big Sleep,” 7:30 p.m., La Jolla Athenaeum, outdoor patio, 1008 Wall St., (858) 454-5872
• La Jolla Community Planning Association meeting, 6 p.m., La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St., lajollacpa.org
FRIDAY, Aug. 2
• Foodie Friday: “Sideways,” 6:30 p.m., La Jolla Playhouse, 2910 La Jolla Village Drive, (858) 550-1010, www.lajollaplayhouse.org