Lawrence ‘Larry’ Sheehan, longtime resident, former Scoutmaster
Published - 04/18/12 - 02:15 PM | 7063 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Lawrence Joseph “Larry” Sheehan, a 50-year Point Loma resident and former Scoutmaster, died suddenly on March 27 at his Point Loma home.

He was 78. 

Sheehan was born in Roosevelt, N.Y. on June 21, 1933. After graduating from Brooklyn Tech High School he attended the Merchant Marine Academy, graduating in 1955. He spent four years in the Merchant Marine, then went to work for Western Electric. 

He married Constance “Connie” Beach on Dec. 29, 1962, and the couple moved to San Diego. He went to work for Univac (now Lockheed Martin) and stayed with the company for 30 years, retiring as a principal applications analyst. 

They settled in Point Loma where sons Larry III and Mike were born. In 1980, Sheehan joined with his friend, Matt Masterson, to reactivate Troop 500 at St. Agnes Catholic Church.  Troop 500 had existed in Point Loma from the 1950s through the 1970s.

He served as Scoutmaster of Troop 500 for seven years. Under his leadership, the troop became known for the large number of Scouts who earned the rank of Eagle Scout, including his two sons.

Troop 500 had a strong program of outdoor activities, and he developed a lifelong love of the outdoors and of hiking. He accompanied the troop on annual trips to the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River, as well as to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and to the Sierra, including an ascent of the 14,505-foot Mount Whitney, the tallest mountain in the continental United States.

The Boy Scouts presented him with the District Order of Merit in recognition of his services to Scouting. 

After his retirement he developed heart problems and underwent quadruple bypass surgery in the 1990s. His doctor told him to choose a physical goal as part of his recovery, so he decided to climb Mount Whitney again.

Enlisting Masterson as his coach, he undertook a training program, and one year to the day after his heart surgery, he stood atop Mount Whitney for the second time.

His story served as an inspiration to other heart patients.

In addition to his scouting activities, he served as president of Point Loma Little League and as a lector at St. Agnes Catholic Church. 

He is survived by Connie, his wife of 49 years; sons Larry and Mike; daughter-in-law Jessie; five grandchildren; and sister Alice Whyte.

A rosary and funeral Mass was held at St. Agnes Catholic Church on April 3, followed by interment at El Camino Memorial Cemetery. 

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Vincent de Paul Village, 1501 Imperial Ave, San Diego, 92101, or by visiting 

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.