Pointers bit by aggressive Olympian High squad 38-10
by Scott Hopkins
Published - 09/19/12 - 03:46 PM | 4693 views | 0 0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Point Loma High sophomore Jake Virissimo (No. 14) wraps up an Olympian ball carrier in the Pointers’ 38-10 loss to the Eagles on Sept. 7 as two teammates approach. Photo by Scott Hopkins I The Beacon
view image
In what now looks like an omen, the school bus didn’t show up Sept. 7 to transport the Point Loma High School football team south to Olympian High School for the 7 p.m. game.

Some frantic phone calls produced a bus, but the team, stuck in rush-hour traffic, didn’t arrive in time for its regular pregame warm-up drills and preparation, instead scrambling to line up for kickoff.

These factors, and a hungry Eagle squad, combined to bury the Pointers 38-10 and even the Dogs’ record at 1-1 on the young season.

A 17-point Olympian scoring blitz, coming in just two minutes of the second quarter, put the Pointers in self-dug hole.

The Pointer defense again stood tall, holding the Olympians to 245 yards in total offense. Three plays -- a 38-yard run and touchdown passes of 28 and 67 yards -- accounted for more than half the Eagle total.

The Pointers continued to struggle on offense, however, as a big, but young, offensive line was unable to control the line of scrimmage.

Three Pointer quarterbacks combined to complete just six of 13 passes for 46 yards while two interceptions by alert Eagle defenders were returned 135 yards, both for touchdowns.

The first of those interceptions gave the hosts a 7-0 lead with 4:30 left in the second quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, a Pointer fumble gave the Eagles the ball 28 yards from a second score, and on their first play, Division I prospect Sergio Bailey caught the first of his two scoring passes with 4:13 left before the break.

In just 17 seconds, the Eagles put up 14 points. But they weren’t done.

On the first play from scrimmage after the Olympian score, the Pointers turned it over again on a fumble. This time, the defense held, but the Eagles added three more points with a field goal for a 17-0 halftime lead, all points coming in less than five minutes.

The third quarter started well for the Pointers when a hard hit by a defender caused an Eagle fumble the Dogs pounced on. Unable to advance, Miguel Alcantar’s 31-yard field goal cut the Eagle lead to 17-3.

But the Eagles scored again on their next drive, with Bailey snaring another pass for a 67-yard score and a 24-3 lead.

Then, on the next Pointer series, a pass attempt was picked off and run back 55 yards for another six points.

After another Eagle score in the third quarter’s final minute gave them a 38-3 lead, Ja’Markus Watkins took a handoff 50 yards for the Pointer touchdown with 8:24 left in the game.

Defensively, Greg Verdugo led with six tackles and three assists. Sydney Rush, Zack Eischen and Jamal Agnew were each in on six tackles with Rush adding an interception.


• The Pointers played without two key defensive starters, Jake Wambaugh and Tanner Manion, both of whom were injured.

• Game referees implemented a new “running clock” rule, new this year to California prep football. When a team leads by 35 or more points entering the fourth quarter, or any time after, the game clock will not be stopped. Many coaches in the state are opposed to the rule, and Pointer head coach Mike Hastings said he was not pleased by its use.

• The Pointer freshmen (a 15-14 thriller) and junior varsity (23-8) each defeated the Eagles to remain undefeated.

• Olympian opened in 2006 and first fielded a varsity team in 2007. Head coach Gil Warren is 71, played for Don Coryell at San Diego State and has coached at several South Bay schools in compiling over 200 victories since the late 1960s.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Comments are back! Simply post the comment (it'll complain about you failing the human test) then simply click on the captcha and then click "Post Comment" again. Comments are also welcome on our Facebook page.