Quick Hits
Mar 06, 2013 | 3688 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Bank robber pleads to multiple heists

A Point Loma bank robber will be sentenced March 19 after admitting he placed gadgets that he claimed were bombs at several banks.

Roberto Amado Sepulveda, 24, pleaded guilty to all charges. The judge said he would impose up to a maximum sentence of five years and eight months in state prison, according to court records.

Sepulveda admitted to holding up the America West Bank on Rosecrans Street on Nov. 21 and to placing a device before two tellers there. He also admitted to holding up a Chase Bank branch and the Navy Federal Credit Union, both in Imperial Beach.

A credit union teller put a tracking device in with the cash and police arrested Sepulveda at an Imperial Beach home where he had been staying. Most of that money was recovered.

The devices Sepulveda left at all the banks were not bombs and no one was injured.

— Neal Putnam

Faux bomber released from custody

A man who made a false bomb threat at Robb Field in Ocean Beach was released from jail Feb. 25 after credit for time served. He will be allowed to live with family in Wyoming on three years’ probation.

The bizarre incident took place July 20 when Kreighton John Kilgore, 28, told a woman he put a bomb in her mailbox and he told a responding police officer he had a bomb. He pleaded guilty to interfering with an officer from his duty because of the bomb threat.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Laura Halgren barred Kilgore from returning to within two blocks of Robb Field and to stay away from the woman. Kilgore said his home is in Jackson, Wyo., and probation officials are working to transfer Kilgore to be on probation in Wyoming, according to court records.

Halgren credited Kilgore for 371 days spent in jail, including months Kilgore spent in a state mental hospital after he was initially declared mentally incompetent to stand trial.

No explosives were found and Halgren dismissed charges of making a criminal threat, battery upon an officer and making a false bomb threat. The judge recommended psychiatric and substance-abuse treatment.

— Neal Putnam

Cabrillo Club again offering scholarships

The Cabrillo Civic Clubs of California are in the process of accepting scholarship applications for 2013 in hope of awarding 156 scholarships of $500 each.

The applications are being distributed to all city and county high schools, and applicants must be graduating high-school seniors of Portuguese descent with a grade-point average of 3.5 or better. Applicants must also have been involved in school and community activities.

The deadline for applying is March 15. Send completed forms to: Breck Austin, State Scholarship Chairperson, 1781 Cottonwood Drive, Vista, 92081.

For more information, call local scholarship chairperson Aaron Buttery at (408) 655-6470, or email aarongbuttery@gmail.com.

La Playa Trail Association to host new talk series

The La Playa Trail Association will host another in a series of informative programs to share the history of the Point Loma area, with the next event slated for Tuesday, March 19.

The next talk at the Point Loma Assembly, 3035 Talbot St., will feature Rick Kennedy, professor of history at Point Loma Nazarene University, who will speak on Richard Henry Dana of Point Loma.

Kennedy and his family have lived in Point Loma since 1995. He has written a wide range of books and articles for the Maritime Museum and articles in coastal sailing magazines on Dana and environmental history.

For the last 10 years, he has taught a summer school course on California history in which students sail up the coast. The course emphasizes California’s maritime history and focuses on Dana’s “Two Years Before the Mast.”

The evening will begin with hors d’oeuvres at 5:30 p.m. and the program at 6 pm. Donations of $10 will be gladly accepted at the door.

For more information, call (619) 222-1950, or email kunzel@cox.net.

Police captain’s son gets public service in assaults

A San Diego police captain’s son has been ordered to perform 50 days of public work service after pleading guilty to three misdemeanor counts of battery on women in Pacific Beach whom he groped while drunk.

Alex Tyler Guaderrama, 23, will be wearing a device that monitors alcohol use while on terms of three years’ probation. His driver license was suspended for 30 days and he was fined on Feb. 11.

Guaderrama, who moved to Alpine, will have to apply for a restricted driver license that would permit driving to and from work, according to Gina Coburn, spokeswoman for the San Diego City Attorney’s Office. He will wear the secure continuous remote alcohol monitor (SCRAM) while on probation, she said.

Guaderrama admitted to assaulting two women outside a taco shop around 1 a.m. on Aug. 21 at 1190 Garnet Ave. A third woman was struck in the face. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor vandalism involving $400 in damages to a car window of two victims who fled.

His father is Capt. Manny Guaderrama, and the department denied any favorable treatment to his son in the investigation for charges that were filed six weeks later.

The younger Guaderrama could return to court after completion of 25 days of public service and have the next 25 days converted to volunteer work at a nonprofit organization.

— Neal Putnam



Prosecutor resigns after ticket-fixing fiasco

A jury has convicted a prosecutor of conspiracy to obstruct justice and two other misdemeanors in a Pacific Beach ticket-fixing case and she resigned from the District Attorney’s Office on Feb. 19.

The resignation of Allison Worden, 37, will take effect on Feb. 28, said Steve Walker, a spokesperson for District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis. Worden was an experienced prosecutor for 10 years and handled murder and robbery cases.

Because the convictions are misdemeanors, they may not affect her license to practice law, but Worden might have trouble finding employment elsewhere as a prosecutor. She had been on paid leave of absence.

Her attorney, former District Attorney Paul Pfingst, won a delay Feb. 20 in her sentencing and it was set for March 8 before San Diego Superior Court Judge Louis Hanoian. She remains free on her own recognizance.

Worden, who was charged under her married name of Allison Debow, could get up to a year in jail, but it is more likely she would get community service with probation. It would be a security problem for a prosecutor to be sent to any jail.

The incident began on May 28, 2011 in the 4600 block of Cass Street when a police officer pulled over a car driven by another prosecutor, Amy Maund, and discovered that Worden, a passenger, wasn’t wearing a seat belt.

The officer issued two tickets to both women, and Worden called Sgt. Kevin Friedman, a supervisor in the traffic department. Friedman apparently destroyed the tickets and later pleaded no contest to destruction of a traffic citation before it was filed in court.

Friedman, 49, was ordered to perform 40 hours of volunteer work, and placed on two years probation with a $500 fine. He also resigned from the police department.

Worden testified “the cop didn’t act appropriately” during the traffic stop and said she only called Friedman to complain about the officer, denying asking him to destroy the tickets.

— Neal Putnam

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet