Here is the Blind Tiger Cocktail Company guide to holiday punch. As always, please drink responsibly.
Essentials for amazing holiday punch
• Punchbowl large enough to accommodate your party (matching holiday cups is a huge bonus)
• Large ice mold (using large mixing bowl slightly smaller than your punchbowl for minimal dilution)
• Simple syrup (a simple mixture of one part hot water and one part sugar, allowing sugar to dissolve entirely)
• Fresh citrus juice (buy a citrus press and use fresh juice whenever possible)
• Artisanal-quality base spirits (go to a specialty liquor store that sells boutique spirits)
Autumn spiced cider
10 oz Buffalo Trace bourbon
10 oz Snap liqueur
10 oz apple cider
7 oz lemon juice
5 oz apple gastrique
Apple gastrique: caramelize 2 cups of sugar in the bottom of a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water. Once mixture begins to caramelize, add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 whole diced apple. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, cool and strain
Black strap eggnog
20 oz Crusoe spiced organic rum
15 oz eggnog
5 oz cinnamon infused simple syrup
2 oz Angostura bitters
Cinnamon simple syrup: allow 2 broken cinnamon sticks to simmer in 5 ounces of simple syrup for 5 minutes on low heat. Cool and strain.
Cherries and Chocolate
15 oz clove-infused vodka
5 oz Godiva chocolate liqueur
14 oz cherry reduction
8 oz lemon juice
Clove vodka: allow 12 clove pods to infuse in 750 ml of vodka for 5 days
Cherry reduction: allow 1 large can of dark pitted cherries, 4 cups of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of nutmeg and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Cool and strain. Save cherries for garnish.
— Adam Stemmler is a sommelier and mixologist at Vin de Syrah downtown. He is the winner of numerous awards, including the U.S. Bartenders Guild regional competion.