On the event’s third day, 10 artists showcased the art behind fashion with RAW: natural born artists. Inspired by the fashion in San Diego communities, each artist created an original work of art, with some of the standouts being Jason Acton, Krissy Fernandez and Chad Recchia. Hair and makeup artists were on hand to demonstrate the latest fashion and beauty styles.
Spotlight San Diego Style look place on Oct. 4 at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM). Industry professionals JoAnn Jacks, Brian Hawkins and Norm Zwail formed a panel of speakers led by moderator Jesse Negrete. They discussed the business side of fashion and their take on style in San Diego.
The following night FIDM hosted 12 designers, each of whom brought a model to highlight one of his or her creations.
Oct. 6 saw a runway show at the Hard Rock Hotel presenting the collections of all 12 of the designers. A variety of designs were showcased, including a plus-size collection, “Shades of Love,” by Sharlene Borromeo. Andre Soriano presented Hollywood Glamour, while Paul Rico was the only designer showcasing men’s wear and Stacie May showed a limited-edition collection, which included my favorite: a photo of a building printed on a dress.
“Love is a Devil” — inspired by a Shakespeare sonnet — presented a jewelry collection by designers Alana Crain and Sharie Ellis. Erin Fader showed her Trashy Chic Jewelry, Sameerah Yasmeen Corporal highlighted her SYC Women’s wear, Evelyne Aguilar presented her nOia Collection and Whitney Francis showcased her Creative-Fashionista collection.
The audience was encouraged to interact by voting for their favorite designer using their cell phones. Kenneth Barlis topped the voting with his exquisite spring 2013 collection, while Jessica Faulkner took second place with a lifestyle collection reminiscent of the 1940s. Third place went to Syncletica Muniz and Aida Soria of Dos Caras who launched their swim- and resort-wear collection.
The last day of fashion week featured a trunk show and shopping at the Hard Rock Hotel — the perfect ending to the week. For upcoming information, visit www.fashionweeksd.com.
• Nov. 20 — 34th annual Chargers Blood Drive featuring Chargers players as models, 5:30 p.m., Town and Country Hotel. Donors can give blood and enter for free or give a $5 donation.
• Nov. 30 — Leonard Simpson’s fifth annual 10 Best Dressed Awards, 6 p.m. to 1 a.m., San Diego Sheraton Hotel & Marina, 1380 Harbor Island Drive. www.leonard-simpson10bestdressed.com.
• Nov. 30 — Lizz Russell Cocktail and Couture, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Westgate Grand Lobby, 1055 Second Ave. (619) 557-3655.
• Nov. 2-3 — Zandra Rhodes Trunk Show, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mingei International Museum store. (619) 239-0003.
• Nov. 3 — Heels2Heal fashion show, 5:30 p.m., private La Jolla estate, benefits Miracle Babies. (858) 208-0270.
• Nov. 11 — Mary Simonsen Designs, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., George’s at the Cove, benefits the Falcon Ridge Equine Rescue