Linda and Tiana Ravden, the ladies at Finch’s Bistro & Wine Bar, are toasting the season and celebrating other female owned-and-operated businesses with their second annual Holiday Sip ’n’ Shop fundraiser on Nov. 17 from 3 to 5 p.m. The successful mother and daughter-in-law duo are hosting nearly a dozen local female-owned businesses that will offer guests exclusive discounts and hot raffle items from premier boutiques and retailers, appetizers and wine — and all to benefit My Girlfriend’s Closet, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to distributing high-quality, gently-used clothing, shoes and accessories to foster and homeless teenage girls in need. Guests are encouraged to bring donations to the event and throughout the month of November to Finch’s, located at 7644 Girard Ave. Event tickets are $10 per person, including an appetizer, glass of wine and deals on holiday shopping. For more information, visit www.finchslajolla.com or call (858) 456-4056.
Living legend Sebastian Capella will showcase a rarely seen collection of his world-renowned paintings — many of which have been featured in numerous art collections around the globe — at the La Jolla Art Association (LJAA) Gallery, located at 8100 Paseo del Ocaso, Ste. B from Nov. 19 to Dec. 2.
The LJAA will also host Capella at an opening gala and artist reception on Nov. 24 from 5 to 7 p.m., providing guests the opportunity to learn more about the Spanish-born artist and his famed works, including figurative paintings for the king, queen and prince of Spain. Food and drink will be provided at the free community event, and all are welcome to learn more about the life and works of this modern master.
For more information, call (858) 459-1196 or visit www.lajollaart.org.
The San Diego Children’s Choir will ring in the holidays with seasonal songs and a tree-lighting ceremony at the recently revamped Westfield UTC mall on Nov. 17 at 5 p.m.
Guests at the festive holiday celebration are invited to sing along to their favorite holiday carols as Westfield UTC’s Palm Plaza is brought to life with sparkling lights and bright ornaments twinkling on a towering 36-foot Christmas tree, a special visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus, hot chocolate and coffee samplings and special holiday performances by the San Diego Civic Youth Ballet and special celebrity pop sensation Jessica Sanchez.
The holiday tree-lighting ceremony is free and open to the public at Westfield UTC’s Palm Plaza, located at 4545 La Jolla Village Drive. For more information visit www.sdcchoir.org or call (858) 587-1087.
THURSDAY, Nov. 15
• Nathan Gunn, baritone, 7:30 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., chamber concert, (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, $45 members, $50 nonmembers
• “Easy, breezy holiday side dishes,” 5 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., healthy cooking class with syndicated food columnist, author and health-food guru Catharine Kaufman, (858) 459-0831, www.lajollacommunitycenter.org, $35 members, $45 nonmembers
• Canvas design and wine with Dottie Stanley, 5 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., upbeat creative acrylic painting class, (858) 459-0831, www.lajollacommunitycenter.org, $40 members, $45 nonmembers
• “Nowhere Yet,” 7:30 p.m., Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book discussion and signing with debut author Edward Cozza, (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• “Red Fish, Blue Fish,” 8 p.m., UCSD’s Conrad Prebys Music Center, 9500 Gilman Drive, UCSD’s resident percussion ensemble performs Lewis Nielson’s “Tocsin” and French composer and UCSD music faculty member Philippe Manoury’s “Le Livre des Claviers,” musicweb.ucsd.edu, (858) 534-3230, $15.50 general admission, $10.50 UCSD faculty, staff and alumni, students free one hour before concert
FRIDAY, Nov. 16
• Learn about Venous Disease, 2 p.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., free vein screening and discussion about the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options for venous disease with Dr. Nisha Bunke, (858) 459-0831, www.ljcommunitycenter.org, free
• Founders’ celebration, 11:30 a.m., UCSD’s town square, 9500 Gilman Drive, celebrate UCSD’s founding with chancellor Pradeep Khosla amid music, games, giveaways, interactive booths and gourmet truck fare followed by a “TEDx-style” symposium at Rady School of Management at 5 p.m., (858) 534-6386, firstname.lastname@example.org, free
• Sam Tripoli, 10:30 p.m., The Comedy Store, 916 Pearl St., comedy performance, (858) 454-9176, lajolla.thecomedystore.com, $20
SATURDAY, Nov. 17
• Weekend with the Locals: Candace Conradi & Stacey Canfield, noon, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book discussion and signing with authors of “The Soul Sitter’s Handbook,” (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• Sam Tripoli, 8 and 10:30 p.m., The Comedy Store, 916 Pearl St., comedy performance, (858) 454-9176, lajolla.thecomedystore.com, $20
• “Why and Wherefore of the Non-Population Census Records,” 9 a.m. to noon, UCSD’s Robinson Auditorium, 9500 Gilman Drive, Everett B. Ireland addresses the Computer Genealogy Society of San Diego, email@example.com, free
• “Kelp Kornucopia,” 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way, uncover ways people and ocean animals depend on kelp with Scripps coastal researchers, (858) 534-3624, aquarium.ucsd.edu, free with $14 admission
SUNDAY, Nov. 18
• La Jolla Open Aire Market, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., La Jolla Elementary School, 1111 Marine St., (858) 454-1699, www.lajollamarket.com, free
• Weekend with the Locals: Gary Fogel, noon, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave., book discussion and signing with author of “Quest for Flight,” (858) 454-0347, www.warwicks.com, free
• NSAI San Diego for Songwriters gather, 6 p.m., La Jolla Lutheran Church, 7111 La Jolla Blvd., meeting of songwriters of any genre and from every level gather for group feedback on music, bring at least ten copies of a lyric sheet, a recording song or a guitar and play live, www.NSAISanDiego.com, $15 per meeting, free for the first two meetings
MONDAY, Nov. 19
• “In the Red and Brown Water,” 8 p.m., UCSD’s Mandell Weiss Forum Theatre, 9500 Gilman Drive, UCSD Theatre presents Tarell Alvin McCraney’s drama about Oya’s dilemma, directed by Gregory Wallace, ongoing until Dec. 1, (858) 534-4574, theatre.ucsd.edu, $15 general admission, $10 seniors and UCSD affiliates, $8 students
TUESDAY, Nov. 20
• Zumba, 8:30 a.m., La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., dance fitness class that fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves, (858) 459-0831, www.ljcommunitycenter.org, $10 members, $12 nonmembers
WEDNESDAY, Nov. 21
• Children’s storytime, 3 p.m., Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St., (858) 454-5872, www.ljathenaeum.org, free
THURSDAY, Nov. 22
• Father Joe’s Villages Thanksgiving Day 5K, 7:45 a.m., San Diego Museum of Man, 1350 El Prado, fundraising 5K run-walk to help homeless neighbors in need, register online by Nov. 21, www.thanksgivingrun.org, $25-$42