Physical educator Karla Martinez has been named as California International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme Educator of the Year for California. In addition to designing and teaching one-of-a-kind curriculum for the students of Pacific Beach Middle School, Martinez volunteers her time after school to support athletes at PB Middle and around the city. Martinez is receiving well-deserved state-wide recognition as a tireless advocate for curriculum that promotes lifelong physical education and activity.
Her extensive knowledge and dedication has earned her national board certification. In addition to her full-time work at the school, Martinez volunteers throughout the country as an IB workshop teacher trainer, IB authorization team member and IB candidate school consultant. Martinez and her award-winning physical-education team shares its knowledge as it hosts IB and physical educators. For more information, visit www.sandi.net/pbmiddle.
MISSION BAY HIGH
Mission Bay High School will host a parent articulation meeting on Tuesday,
Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. in the library. This general session will review graduation requirements and separate for sessions by grade level to talk specifically about the courses offered at the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades. All Pacific Beach Middle School parents are invited to attend.
PACIFIC BEACH MIDDLE
• Support the PBMS music program at the Tiki House, 1152 Garnet Ave, on Friday, Feb. 22. Enjoy the rockin’ music of Jet-pack MoJo (formerly SLK), enter a raffle for prizes and meet new friends while helping to sustain the wonderful music program at PBMS. $5 cover charge.
• PBMS will host “College-Make It Happen!” on Feb. 28 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the library.
Pacific Beach Elementary will host its monthly Family Fun Night Restaurant Fundraiser on Feb. 21 from 4 to 9 p.m. at Big Kahuna’s,
3780 Ingraham St. Mention PBE and a portion of the total will come back to the school.
CROWN POINT JME
Deadline for school choice applications is Feb. 15. Applications are available online to select your school of choice for the 2013-14 school year. CPJMA school tours are available every Thursday at 8 a.m. for kindergartner through second-graders; third-graders through fifth-graders,
10:20 a.m. Learn about music programs, visit classrooms and meet the staff. To set up an appointment, call (858) 273-9830. To submit an application, visit www.sandi.net.
FRIENDS OF PACIFIC BEACH SECONDARY SCHOOLS (FOPBSS)
• Friends of PB Secondary Schools (FOPBSS) meeting is scheduled for Wednesday,
Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Mission Bay High School library. Special guests are Catherine Jolley of the PB Town Council, Jorge Palacios (MBHS athletic director) and Arnie Garcia of SDG&E, and principals Fred Hilgers of Mission Bay High School and Ernie Remillard of Pacific Beach Middle School.
• Save the date! FOPBSS Cinco de Mayo Fundraiser, Sunday, May 5, 5-9 PM, at Mission Beach Women’s Club. Proceeds support enriching school programs for Mission Bay High School and Pacific Beach Middle School. Donations for the auction are needed. Email MBHSfriends@yahoo.com if you have a donation or a question.
MISSION BAY CLUSTER
Advertise in the yearbooks. The Mission Bay High and PB Middle yearbook staff would like to sell ads to your businesses to help keep the cost of the yearbook affordable for students. Assistance is provided for the design of your ad.
• Mission Bay High School yearbook ads: contact Ron Lancia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
¼ page (4 ¼ x 5 ½) $75
½ page (8 ½ x 5 ½) $150
Full page (8 ½ x 11) $300
• Pacific Beach Middle School yearbook ads: contact Don Wood at email@example.com
1/8 page (4 ¼ x 2 ¾) $40. (A little bit bigger than a regular business card)
1/4 page (4 ¼ x 5 ½) $75
1/2 page (8 ½ x 5 ½) $145