The community’s only public high school is staging its second annual “Picture Yourself a Pointer” day for all incoming students, regardless of their current educational situation.
Students currently in any public, private or charter schools and home-schooled youth considering attending the school (2335 Chatsworth Blvd.) are encouraged to attend.
The school, through its Pointer Association, stresses “The 3 A’s: Academics, Arts and Athletics.” The PLHS website is www.pointlomahigh.com.
The event is more than just an open house, with appearances by athletes in uniform, cheerleaders, theater and dance students, and will conclude with campus tours.
The program begins at 9:45 a.m. with visiting students being ushered into the school’s Trepanier Gym as the Pointers’ award-winning band performs.
For the next 45 minutes, a carefully orchestrated but constant blitz of information and activities designed to captivate candidates will showcase the numerous possibilities available to PLHS students.
This year’s event will be preceded and followed by a contingent of eighth graders, making the pilgrimage from Correia Middle School to the Pointer campus on foot due to district funding cuts.
A cluster of hundreds of students and staff will possibly tie up vehicle traffic along Voltaire Street and Chatsworth Boulevard as the group makes it way along the one-mile route.
Following the event’s 11 a.m. conclusion, Correia students will return to their Valeta Street campus.
The “Picture Yourself a Pointer” schedule:
• 9:45 a.m.: Students enter Trepan-ier Gym greeted by PLHS band.
• 10 a.m.: Welcome from principal Bobbie Samilson.
• 10:04 a.m.: Video introduction to PLHS.
• 10:12 a.m.: Theater program performance.
• 10:14 a.m.: Dance team performance.
• 10:16 a.m.: Athletics presentation.
• 10:18 a.m.: Powerpoint show describing freshman year by Counseling Department
• 10:22 a.m.: Cheerleaders’ routines.
• 10:30 a.m.: Tours provided by “Link Crew,” a campus club assisting newcomers to PLHS, will include the school’s new music-production facility, weight room and sports medicine classroom/treatment area and football field, as well as classrooms in various subject areas.
• 11 a.m.: Students and visitors leave PLHS campus.
Note: The PLHS Voltaire Street entrance remains closed due to construction.