The La Jolla Hat Show was presented at Eddie V’s on July 10. Serving as a pre-celebration for Opening Day at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, the fashionable event, which began in the Green Dragon Lounge with a social hour and accessory shopping to the sounds of the Manny Cepeda band, was orchestrated by Mary Soriano. The guests enjoyed a three-course luncheon overlooking La Jolla Cove.
The fashion show began with tunes from DJ Rockstar highlighting accessories to wear to the Del Mar Racetrack. Custom-made hats by Diana Cavagnaro — Couture Hats were accessorized by semi precious jewelry by Juelerie. Pamela Pogue is the designer for Juelerie and creates incredible one-of-a-kind semi-precious designs. Designer Eyewear from the Optical Shop of Aspen accented the hats and jewelry.
The second segment of the show featured Greenpacha Hats — for which founder Julieta Gomez Gerbi employs weavers from Ecuador to hand weave the beautiful creations — accessorized by gorgeous silver jewelry from Uno de 50.
After the fashion show each one of the participating companies briefly presented the charities they would be donating to with the day’s purchases. Three guests were given prizes for best hat and all guests finished the day back down in the Green Dragon Lounge.
The 76th season of Del Mar Thoroughbred Club opened to a crowd of over 40,000 on July 17. Fashionable attire — and of course, fashionable hats — was the dress code. Race fans arrived with hats in all shapes and sizes, including the popular fascinator. This year’s popular colors were turquoise, white and a combination of black and white, though some fashionistas opted for neon colors like tangerine, yellow and fuchsia.
Some of the standouts included Jenny Craig, who looked lovely in charcoal grey from head to toe next to daughter-in-law Becca Craig, who looked stylish in all black with a big pink bow on her chapeau. Joye D. Blount looked smashing in a white Armani suit with matching hat. Lena Evans looked picture perfect in a black Halo dress and a Diana Cavagnaro Couture Hat.
Valerie Cooper wore a black and white Prada dress with a William Chambers Hat from London. Heather Winfield was decked out in Cobalt Blue from head to foot. Denise Hug looked stunning in a red dress topped with a red hat from Carol Bader. Hat designer
Lisa Marks wore a red Tadashi with one of her red creations. Maggie Watkins wore a Gucci dress and a black-and-yellow fascinator from Carol Bader. Nessa Cronin bought her feathered headdress in Dublin, Ireland. Jen Vandersanden wore a fascinator from the Village Hat Shop with a BCBG Dress. Mahjuba Levine looked fabulous in an all white McQueen dress and a Diana Cavagnaro Couture Hat. Diane York wore an attractive tiger print dress topped off with a hat from London designer Whiteley.
The annual One and Only Truly Fabulous Hats Contest was as big as ever, with contestants from all over the country. First prize for the Funniest/Most Outrageous category went to Katy Helen Stockinger, while the Best Flowers Category was won by Amber Thorne of Costa Mesa and the most glamorous went to Kayla Carnevale. Best Fascinator was made by Kristi Courtois, and the Best Racing Theme and Grand Prize Winner went to Chris Banner. Banner received $300 for Best Racing theme and top prize of two American Airlines travel vouchers good for travel anywhere in the continental United States.
The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club’s meeting this year will run through Sept. 4. Dark Mondays (except Labor Day) and Tuesdays (37 racing days). For more information, call (858) 755-1141.
• Aug. 11 — Health & Fitness For Models, 11 a.m., W Hotel, 421 West B St., features workshop with Chelsea Casey of Three Sisters Wellness as part of Fashion Week San Diego. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 17 — Haute with Heart Fashion Show: Sophisticated Rhythms, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hilton San Diego Bayfront, benefits St. Madeleine Sophie’s Center, (619) 442-5129
• Aug. 25 — Go Red For Women Strut Fashion Show, 12:30 p.m., San Diego Polo Club, raises awareness of heart disease in women, (858) 410-3834
• Aug. 29 — Blogging 101 Seminar, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., San Diego History Center, presented by Fashion Group International, RSVP: www.facebook.com/events/595464573827880/
• Aug. 30 — Kenneth Barlis Fashion Show, 7 p.m., Port Pavilion on Broadway Pier, features the designer’s 2014 spring/summer collection and several international designers. For tickets: kennethbarlisfashionshow.eventbrite.com