— John Fry may be reached at (858) 272-6655 or email@example.com.
REMEMBER WHEN Safeway Market was a brick building right on the street at 1650 Garnet Ave.? This photo from the early 1950s looks east from today’s Staples parking lot. The white structure at the center is actually two buildings. On the right is Pacific Beach Presbyterian Church. On the left, at the southeast corner of Garnet and Jewell, is the old Ravenscroft Market. It was torn down to make way for San Diego Federal Savings, which today is a 99¢ store. Note the palm tree, which today is tall and spindly, and stands in front of the Costa Brava Spanish Restaurant. — John Fry may be reached at (858) 272-6655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.