• La Jolla Music Society dance event, Wendy Whelan, “Restless Creature,” 7 p.m., Balboa Theatre, 868 4th Ave., La Jolla Music Society opens the 46th season of its Dance Series with New York City Ballet’s Wendy Whelan as she embarks on a new dance adventure with four male choreographers.
Whelan will present an evening of four duets created and danced with Kyle Abraham, Joshua Beamish, Brian Brooks and Alejandro Cerrudo. (619) 570-1100 or sandiegotheatres.org.
SATURDAY, Jan. 31
• The Comedy Store, stand-up comedy, 7 and 9:30 p.m., 916 Pearl St. The best and brightest talent from across the country gather in La Jolla, bringing their laughs. See your favorite comics from Comedy Central, late-night TV, film and your favorite shows every weekend. 21 and up, two-drink minimum. (858) 454-9176, thecomedystore.com.
SUNDAY, Feb. 1
• La Jolla Open Aire Market, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., La Jolla Elementary School, corner of Girard Avenue and Genter Street. Weekly farmers market offers the best in local produce and arts and crafts by local artisans plus a food court and live entertainment. lajollamarket.com.
MONDAY, Feb. 2
• Concert performance by French pianist Alexandre Tharaud, 7:30 p.m., The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. Tharaud will premiere his new recital before going on to Carnegie Hall and Chicago later this year. An artist of unique vision and originality, Tharaud is heralded for his brilliantly conceived programs and bestselling recordings from Bach, Chopin, Rameau and Ravel to music inspired by Paris cabarets of the 1920s. (858) 454-5872, ljathenaeum.org.
TUESDAY, Feb. 3
• Bird Rock Community Council, 6 to 7 p.m., Bird Rock Oyster & Sushi, 5752 La Jolla Blvd. Community planning group discusses neighborhood and other issues of local importance, visit birdrockcc.org.
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 4
• Tide Pool Feeding, 2 p.m., Birch Aquarium at Scripps, 2300 Expedition Way. Each day, aquarists feed the fish and invertebrates in the live animal displays. Watch as sharks cruise by eyeing their food, or as lobsters emerge from their rocky hiding places. When it's feeding time, the habitat comes to life and animal behaviors are best observed. Plan your next visit and include one of the scheduled feedings, providing opportunities to ask questions and learn more about the wonders of the ocean world. (858) 534-3474, aquarium.ucsd.edu
THURSDAY, Feb. 5
• La Jolla Community Planning Association, 6 to 9 p.m., La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St. Citizens advisory group makes recommendations to the city on land use and other local matters. lajollacpa.org.
FRIDAY, Feb. 6
• Classical concert, Erin Keefe, Ronald Thomas and Adam Neiman, 6:30 p.m. reception, 7:30 p.m. start, Auditorium at The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road. Erin Keefe, violin; Ronald Thomas, cello; and Adam Neiman, piano; Mozart–Sonata for Violin and Piano, No. 26 in B-Flat Major, Tchaikovsky–Piano Trio in A minor, Op. 50.
SATURDAY, Feb. 7
• La Jolla Symphony & Chorus, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Mandeville Auditorium at UCSD, 9500 Gilman Drive, $15-$29. Internationally acclaimed cellist Maya Beiser will be performing two works on the program: Osvaldo Golijov’s Azul (a cello concerto written for Yo-Yo Ma) and Khse Buon (a piece for unaccompanied cello by UCSD composer Chinary Ung). The concert concludes with Carl Nielsen’s Symphony No. 4 “Inextinguishable.” Steven Schick conducts.
SUNDAY, Feb. 8
• Farmers Insurance Open golf tournament, Torrey Pines Golf Course, 11480 Torrey Pines Park Road, final day of annual PGA tournament. farmersinsuranceopen.com
MONDAY, Feb. 9
• Hospital Orientation for Expectant Parents, 6 to 7 p.m., free, Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, Women’s Lobby, second floor, 9888 Genesee Ave. Learn where to enter the hospital, special services that are available to you and your family during your stay and how to streamline your admission. You’ll also get answers to your questions about delivering your baby at Scripps. Registration is required. (800) 727-4777.
TUESDAY, Feb. 10
• San Diego Jewish Film Festival, 10 a.m., David & Dorothea Garfield Theatre, 4126 Executive Drive. (858) 362-1348, sdcjc.org/garfield/.
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 11
• La Jolla Village Merchants Association, 8:15-10 a.m., Cuvier Club, 7776 Eads Ave. Regular monthly meeting of this business improvement district, which represents the interests of businesses in La Jolla’s downtown Village. lajollabythesea.com.
THURSDAY, Feb. 12
• La Jolla Town Council, 5 to 7 p.m., La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St., a nonprofit, volunteer organization serving residents and businesses, whose mission is to work proactively as a unifying voice on behalf of the La Jolla community. (858) 454-1444; drop in at 1150 Silverado St. or visit lajollatowncouncil.org.
FRIDAY, Feb. 13
• Performance by stand-up comedian Darrel Hammond, 8 p.m., Sheila & Hughes Potiker Theatre, 2910 La Jolla Village Drive. Hammond is an American actor, stand-up comedian and impressionist who was a regular on Saturday Night Live from 1995 until 2009, the longest tenure of any cast member in the show's history. He has impersonated more than 107 celebrities, with Bill Clinton as his most frequent. (858) 550-1010, lajollaplayhouse.org.