Suspect in UC stabbing pleads not guiilty
Aug 07, 2014 | 2229 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A man accused of stabbing a stranger near Westfield UTC mall dozens of times, prompting a SWAT response hours later when authorities believed they had tracked him down, pleaded not guilty Aug. 11 to charges including assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder.

Odie James Miller, 20, allegedly fled following the attack in the vicinity of Renaissance Avenue and Towne Centre Drive around 12:15 p.m. Aug. 6, according to San Diego police. The victim suffered several non-life-threatening wounds, police said, after being stabbed more than 40 times.

Bail was set at $500,000. If convicted, Miller faces 12 years in prison.

The Deputy District Attorney's Office said in court that the victim, a 44-year-old biotech executive, was walking to a meeting Aug. 6 when Miller approached him and began stabbing. Miller was later believed to be inside a residence in the 4300 block of Rolando Boulevard, but he apparently escaped. SWAT officers later cleared out of the area, police said. About 10:40 a.m. Aug. 7, officers reportedly tracked down the suspect at Broadway and Park Boulevard in downtown San Diego and took him into custody following a brief struggle.

Miller's father, also named Odie, said his son has a history of mental illness. Earlier this year, the elder Miller said, his son had threatened to kill him, following which the younger Miller was placed on probation.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet