Neighbors are invited to join the wildly popular Pizarro Brothers for an evening of fun, original compositions and music of many genres at the Point Loma Assembly, located at 3035 Talbot St., at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and include refreshments and raffles, including the Pizarro Brothers themselves. The Pizarro Brothers have composed new music and are looking forward to sharing it with a crowd of music lovers. The event is sponsored by Barons Market, Sweetaly Bakery, Nothing Bundt Cakes, Ray’s Mexican Food, Point Loma Credit Union and Van’s. For more information, call (619) 319-7969, or visit bit.ly/1pBYJc7. Tickets can be purchased at the door. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
THURSDAY, Aug. 21
• The Sharp Senior Resources Center is offering help for those experiencing intermittent or chronic low-back pain or stiffness because of osteoarthritis or other reasons. Sharp rehabilitation outpatient orthopedics therapists will discuss self-treatment strategies that may help ease or prevent low-back pain. The discussion will include instruction on proper posture and body mechanics, therapeutic exercises and use of heat or ice. The session takes place from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library, located at 3701 Voltaire St. Registration required. Call
(800) 827-4277 or register online at www.sharp.com.
• The Ocean Beach Historical Society will host a free presentation spotlighting a new book, “Ocean Beach,” created by the society and Arcadia Publishing. The book premiere at the event and present the history of Ocean Beach, cover new information and show off never-before-seen historical photos. A book signing and reception will follow the 7 p.m. program, and the book will be made available for purchase. The program takes place at the Point Loma United Methodist Church, 1984 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Fore more information, visit www.obhistory.wordpress.com.
TUESDAY, Sept. 2
The Sharp Senior Resource Center will host a free blood-pressure screening by registered nurses at the Peninsula Family YMCA, 4390 Valeta St., from 9:30 to 11 a.m. No appointment is necessary and the public is welcome. For more information, visit www.sharp.-com.
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 10
• The Sharp Senior Resource Center will host a free program titled “Medicare and You.” Learn about the basics of Medicare, including Parts A, B, C and D. Also learn about Medicare Advantage, HMOs, PPOs, and more. The program is presented by Pablo Corona of the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program from noon to 1 p.m. at the Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church, 2128 Chatsworth Blvd. Registration required. Call (800) 827-4277, or register online at www.sharp.com.
• The Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library will host author Helen Kaufmann, who will share her memoir book, “White Gloves and Collards.” The memoir details Kaufmann’s life growing up privileged in a small North Carolina town during the 1950s and ’60s. The program takes place at 6:30 p.m. at the library, 3701 Voltaire St. For more information, call Christine Gonzalez at (619) 531-1539.
TUESDAY, Sept. 16
The Sharp Senior Resource Center will host a free blood-pressure screening by registered nurses at the Point Loma Presbyterian Church, 2128 Chatsworth Blvd., from 9:30 to 11 a.m. No appointment is necessary and the public is welcome. For more information, visit www.sharp.com.
SATURDAY, Sept. 20
The Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library will host “Art Alive” and an open house, featuring members of the Point Loma Artists Association and the Point Loma Garden Club, who have paired a display of paintings and floral exhibits. Fun and treats will be provided for the open house. Displays open at 9:30 a.m., followed by the open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the library, 3701 Voltaire St. For more information, call Christine Gonzalez and library staff at (619) 531-1539.
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 1
The Sharp Senior Resource Center will host a Senior Health & Wellness Fair, featuring flu shots for adults age 60 and over and adults with chronic illness. The event also features health screenings, health and community information and other offerings. The event runs from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church, 2128 Chatsworth Blvd. No appointments are necessary. For more information, visit www.sharp.com.