• New-student orientation and 9th-grade registration, Aug. 25,
9 a.m. to noon; 12th-grade registration, 12:30 to 3 p.m. Bring proof of residency and vaccination record.
• 10th-grade registration, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 8 to 11:30 a.m.; 11th-grade registration, 12:30 to 3 p.m. Bring proof of residency and vaccination record.
• Students planning to participate in a fall sport will need to obtain a physical examination and complete the athletic packet, found at www.sandi.net/mission-bay under “Athletics.”
• Mission Bay High School girls’ volleyball tryouts have started, and the teams look to be strong again this year. Practices run every day until the beginning of school with the first tournament taking place in Week 1. There is still room on the freshman team.
PB MIDDLE SCHOOL
• New-student orientation, Aug. 26, 9 a.m.
• Tryout for the 2014-15 PBMS surf team, the PB Locals, a competitive surfing team in the Scholastic Surfing Series Competition (www.surfSSS.com). The coaches and parents are committed to supporting the kids who want to develop their skills and be as successful as they can be in SSS competition. Tryouts in September. Visit www.facebook.-com/PBLocals for updated information on tryout dates.
• New-student orientation, Friday, Aug. 29, 1 p.m. in the PBE auditorium.
• First day of school, Tuesday, Sept. 2. Drop off student and join the Friends of Pacific Beach Elementary (FOPBE) for a “welcome coffee” in the lunch court.
• First Friends of Pacific Beach Elementary (FOPBE) meeting of the school year, Wednesday, Sept. 3, 6 p.m. in Room 9. FOPBE is the nonprofit foundation supporting PBE. Free childcare provided.
CROWN POINT JMA
• CPJMA Back to School Resource Fair, Thursday, Aug. 28, 3:30 to 6 p.m.
• This year, we have teamed up with local businesses to give our parents and students the information and resources needed to start the new school year. Meet teachers and staff, learn about after-school and during-school music clubs and visit a variety of informational booths.
• Kindergarten orientation. Tuesday, Sept. 2, 7:40 to 8:40 a.m.; classroom orientation, 7:40 to 8:15 a.m., followed by an orientation with the principal from 8:15 to 8:40 a.m. All-school discipline assembly, 8 a.m. in the auditorium.
KATE SESSIONS ELEMENTARY
• The 2014-15 school year will begin at Kate Sessions Elementary School on Sept. 2. The custodial staff has been working to clean the school while district crews have been installing a new portable building. Two new teachers have been added to the staff: Carolyn Willis and Debra Junghans.
FRIENDS OF PACIFIC BEACH SECONDARY SCHOOLS
FOPBSS meeting in the Pacific Beach Middle School library, Wednesday, Aug. 27. Join friends and neighbors for the first FOPBSS meeting of the school year to learn about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
MISSION BAY CLUSTER
The Mission Bay Cluster (MBC) is an organization that represents the six public schools in Pacific Beach — Mission Bay High, PB Middle, Sessions Elementary, PB Elementary, Crown Point Junior Music Academy and Barnard Asian Pacific Language Academy. The MBC was formed to provide a democratic, representative process for providing recommendations to the San Diego Unified School District and the Board of Education and to explore and support efforts to enhance academic excellence and enrichment opportunities in all six schools. Meetings are usually the first Thursday of the month and rotate between the six public schools. The first cluster meeting of the school year 2014-15 will be Thursday, Sept. 4, Mission Bay High School, 6 p.m.