- Mission Bay music will perform at the Thanksgiving Jazz Festival on Saturday, Nov. 24, at the Town and Country Hotel in Mission Valley. The Preservationists and Swing Choir will perform at 12:45 p.m. in the California Ballroom and 6:15 p.m. in the Golden West Ballroom. For more information, visit missionbaymusic.com.
Pacific Beach Middle
- PBMS is hosting its annual Holiday Toy Drive, Nov. 26 - Dec. 7. New and unwrapped toys may be brought to first period classroom. The class that collects the most toys wins a trip to Belmont Park. Thank you, Belmont Park, for the fun.
- On Monday Nov. 5, students from Pacific Beach Middle’s yearbook and media class travelled to the iTV (channel 16) studios at the San Diego County Office of Education. The students worked on video lighting, sound, and camera skills as well as video production and editing. They produced short videos and critiqued their own work.
Pacific Beach Elementary
- Green Gardens will host a shopping night on Nov. 29 from 4 to 7 p.m. Part of the proceeds from sales during that time will benefit PBE.
Crown Point Junior Music Academy
- CPJMA had a great turn out of more than 200 families and community guests at Trunk or Treat on Oct. 26. Principal Lopez volunteered to participate in a Pie in the Face toss that made for a great fundraiser. A big thank you to our PTO team and Partners in Education, Newbreak PB, who continue to make this event such a great success each year.
Kate Sessions Elementary
- On Nov. 8, Sessions Elementary celebrated the birthday of Katherine Olivia (Kate) Sessions. The school that bears her name planted seed papers in their garden to honor the woman who was known as "The Mother of Balboa Park."
- Sessions just unveiled plans to construct an outdoor classroom. In addition to a teacher's table and chairs for the students, the area will include an imagination playground, cistern, compost bin, a pollination garden and the planting of 31 trees. Kate Sessions would have loved to be taught in this classroom. KSE would like to thank these generous donors: Precision Landscape Maintenance, bnim and Village Nurseries Landscape Centers.
- Barnard was pleased to host Lori Mitchell, the author of the acclaimed book “Different Just Like Me” that was featured on “Oprah” and the “Today Show.” Her “Exquisite Corpse Poetry” station challenged students to collaboratively build a poem without knowing what the others were writing.
“The art of creative writing is becoming lost among the technology available to kids these days,” Barnard parent and Writers Night coordinator Sunny Kim said. “Imagination comes naturally to children. We just need to find the right sparks for our students and then they can express themselves in wondrous ways.” The San Diego Unified Council of PTAs honored Barnard’s Writers Night as an innovative program with the Ruth Johnson Award in 2017.
- Registration for the 2019 SchoolYard Dash 5K and 1 Mile Kids Run is open. Sign up to take advantage of the early bird pricing at schoolyarddash.org. The sixth annual Schoolyard Dash 5K and 1 Mile Kids Fun Run is a great way to raise money for Pacific Beach Middle and Mission Bay High schools. Join in on Sunday, Feb. 24, to run or walk with family and friends at De Anza Cove along the Mission Bay running path. Breakfast, snacks, coffee, and drinks will follow the race and top runners will be recognized. Come on out to enjoy the fun all while supporting Pacific Beach schools.
- The next Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools meeting will take place 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28, at Mission Bay High School Library.