The University of California San Diego announced today that author, businesswoman, professor and former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright will deliver the keynote address at the UC San Diego All Campus Commencement June 15, 2019. An icon of American diplomacy, Albright shattered the glass ceiling when she was named the nation’s first female secretary of state. Albright just concluded a 10-city tour across the U.S. to promote her latest book, “Fascism: A Warning,” which debuted last April at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. She is the author of five other New York Times bestselling books.
“We are pleased to have Secretary Albright, a distinguished leader in international diplomacy, serve as this year’s All Campus Commencement Speaker,” said Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “UC San Diego’s teaching and research prepares students as scholars, global citizens and changemakers. We look forward to having Secretary Albright reinforce these values and share her insight as a strong female leader and dedicated public servant who inspires making a positive impact on the globe.”
Now a professor in the practice of diplomacy at Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Albright was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor, by President Barack Obama in 2012. She emigrated to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia at age 11 and is the granddaughter of Holocaust victims.
In her address at UC San Diego’s commencement, Albright hopes to inspire the audience as she shares what it takes to be a leader and role model, and the importance of public service. She often tells graduates, “You are a remarkable generation that needs to be involved more than ever. There are serious issues in this country. Tuning out is a mistake. When people of your generation decide they cannot do anything, we’re really in very deep trouble.”
The All Campus Commencement, open to graduates and their guests, kicks off graduation weekend at UC San Diego. All graduates, families and friends are invited to attend both ceremonies to fully experience the pomp and circumstance, and joy and pride, which mark one of the most memorable times in a student’s life.
Below is the 2019 UC San Diego commencement schedule. To learn more, visit the All Campus Commencement website.
Saturday, May 18
- 10 a.m. — Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Commencement (Price Center West Ballroom)
Sunday, June 2
- 10 a.m. — UC San Diego School of Medicine (Commencement Lawn of the Medical Education and Telemedicine Building)
Saturday, June 16
- 9 a.m. — All Campus Commencement (RIMAC Field)
- 12:30 p.m. — Graduate Division (RIMAC Arena) – Masters
- 1:30 p.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – Earl Warren College
- 4 p.m. — Graduate Division (RIMAC Arena) – Doctoral and Master of Fine Arts
- 5 p.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – John Muir College
Sunday, June 17
- 8 a.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – Sixth College
- 9 a.m. — Rady School of Management (RIMAC Arena)
- 11:30 a.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – Revelle College
- 1:30 p.m. — School of Global Policy and Strategy (RIMAC Arena)
- 3 p.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – Thurgood Marshall College
- 6:30 p.m. — College Ceremony (RIMAC Field) – Eleanor Roosevelt College