- MBHS homecoming game, Friday, Oct. 4, against Clairemont High School. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.
- PB Palooza is Sunday, Sept. 29, 1-6 p.m., at the San Diego Mission Bay Boat and Ski Club. The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for kids under 18. Kick off the school year with some back to school fun. Enjoy local music from you favorite PB bands, delicious eats from Todd Meza's Lagga's BBQ, and always good drinks from the Mission Bay Boat and Ski Club. All proceeds support the music program at PBMS. This year's bands are The Go Heads, Seven Miles Away, First Friday Music Club, Lay Low, and The Pinch Flats.
- PBMS tour. Thursday, Oct. 3, 7:45 a.m. Sign in at the front office and meet in the media center to meet the principal and hear about all of the great changes coming to PBMS. Take a school tour after the presentation.
- Corporate sponsorship opportunities are available at PBE. Promote your business while supporting the school. Details can be found at fopbe.org.
Barnard Mandarin Magnet Elementary
- New and returning Barnard Mandarin Magnet Elementary School families said goodbye to summer and hello to the upcoming school year during the school’s fourth annual Day at the Bay event, held on Sept. 7 at the Catamaran Hotel. Nearly 100 people came out on the beautiful Saturday afternoon to splash, raft, paddle board, and ride on two floating lily pads in Mission Bay. “I love going to the beach with my Barnard friends,” said Barnard first grader Quinn M. “Bouncing on the lily pad was my favorite.”
- Next up for the Barnard community: Students will perform at the Balboa Park Moon Festival on Sept. 14. Parents Night Out will be held at the Duck Dive in PB on Sept. 20. And the first Welcome Wednesday of the year, where parents and family members get to read with their children in their classroom for the first half hour of the day, will be held on Oct. 2, followed immediately by Coffee with the Principal.
- For information on Barnard Mandarin Magnet Elementary School, or to find out about the District’s School Choice program, visit sandiegounified.org/barnard. The Choice application window for the 2020-2021 school year will open between Oct. 1 and Nov. 13.
- Sessions' Principal Mr. Carlin introduced a school wide theme song for the 2019-2020 school year called “Don't Give up on Me” by Andy Grammer. In the song, Grammer sings about being brave and resilient when feeling down. When two fifth-graders were asked what they thought about the song, Makena said he likes it because it empowers people to not give up on themselves or others, while Kendall thinks that students like it because they have heard it before and it's catchy. She says when you think about the words, you can relate.
- This year, Sessions has brought back parent-funded programs including library, art, music and garden science. The Sessions community strongly believes that these programs are vital in order to help to create enriched, well-rounded students that are ready to take on the world. Sessions is excited about what these programs will add to each day throughout the year.
- CPJMA families will be able to watch “The Secret Life of Pets 2” at Family Movie Night on Friday, Sept. 27. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., Movie begins at 6 p.m.
- Friends of Pacific Beach Secondary Schools meeting, Wednesday, Sept. 25, 6 p.m., MBHS media center.
- Would you like to help our schools, but are unable to volunteer? Donate to FOPBSS to support PBMS and MBHS. Go to fopbss.org for more information.
Mission Bay Cluster
- Pacific Beachfest, Saturday, Oct. 5, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., on the boardwalk between Felspar and Thomas streets.
Head over to the community stage to enjoy live music from local musicians from PB schools.